Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 31 Aug 13 at 17:00 PM

The Report: Blues 1 Ipswich 1

Chris Burke rescued a point for Blues as they came from a goal behind to earn a 1-1 draw against Ipswich.

Christophe Berra had headed the Tractor Boys into a first-half lead, before Chris Burke struck back for Blues with just over a quarter of an hour of the match remaining.

Lee Clark made two changes to the side that saw off Yeovil Town in the Capital One Cup on Tuesday evening.

Darren Randolph was back to take his place between the sticks ahead of Colin Doyle and there was a surprise return to the Blues strikeforce for Peter Lovenkrands who was making his first start of the campaign.

Neither side were able to dominate the early proceedings, which led to plenty of scrappy football in the centre of midfield and few real chances.

That was until the 18th minute when Aaron Creswell swung the ball into the Blues box where it was met by David McGoldrick, but he was unable to keep his powerful header down and it flew a yard over the bar.

Blues had to wait almost half-an-hour for their first sight on goal when Lee Novak turned and swivelled in the box before trying his luck with a low shot. Unfortunately for the Blues frontman, Ipswich goalkeeper Dean Gerken was perfectly positioned to save it.

But just seconds after the hosts’ miss, Ipswich found themselves a goal to the good. Creswell fired in a deep ball towards Randolph’s far post and Ipswich centre-half Christophe Berra made no mistake in heading it home.

With 43 minutes gone, Blues fashioned their best opportunity of the half courtesy of Burke who crossed from the right, but Lovenkrands volleyed wide from close range.

In the final minutes of the half Andrew Shinnie was just off target with a header and at the other end of the pitch Randolph pulled off two excellent saves to deny McGoldrick.

Blues came close to an equaliser on 50 when Burke swung in a corner and Lee Novak headed the ball backwards towards the goal, but Gerken pulled off a fine save to push it away.

To their credit Ipswich were not just sitting back on their lead and Luke Hyam’s stinging shot was well-saved by a diving Randolph.   

Randolph was by far the busier of the two goalkeepers and he had to be alert to push away Creswell’s blasted effort from 20 yards out.
With 75 minutes played Blues found themselves right back in the game when Burke scored the equaliser.

It was a very well-worked goal by the Scot as he twisted and turned with the ball in the box, before curling a left-footed shot into the back of the net, via a deflection off an Ipswich player.

Buoyed by their equaliser Blues began to enjoy their best offensive spell of the match, and Dan Burn drilled a shot across the front of Gerken’s goal.

But with a less than a minute of normal time remaining Blues were given a major scare after Kyle Bartley fouled McGoldrick right on the edge of the box, but thankfully the Blues wall did its work well as it blocked the resultant free-kick.

    Latest Match Reports