Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 05 Oct 13 at 14:10 PM

The Report: Blues 1 Bolton 2

Blues’ three game winning home streak was brought to a halt on Saturday afternoon as they were narrowly beaten 2-1 by Bolton.

Jermaine Beckford and former Blues man Neil Danns were on target for the visitors at St. Andrew’s, with Lee Novak pulling a late goal back for Blues.

Lee Clark kept faith with the same starting XI that comprehensively beat Millwall on Tuesday.

Bolton made the better start and had much more of the attacking play in the opening stages without creating any chances.

Blues fashioned the first opening after ten minutes when Chris Burke saw his low shot deflected behind for a corner.

Burke was then upended for a foul and David Murphy tried his luck with a trademark free-kick from an acute angle, but Adam Bogdan managed to push the ball away.

Bolton immediately punted the ball forward where Beckford was waiting near the half-way line. The Trotters striker collected the ball and left Dan Burn in his wake before running half the length of the pitch and sliding it past Darren Randolph.

Following this early set-back, Blues looked to get back into the match, but although the endeavour was there, the inspiration and clinical passing wasn’t and they were struggling to break through a well-marshalled Bolton midfield and defence.

Blues came close to restoring parity with 40 minutes on the clock when Callum Reilly tried his luck from 20 yards, but Bogdan was equal to it and produced a diving save to push the ball away.

Four minutes into the second half, Burke put in a great cross for Andy Shinnie just yards from the goal line, but the Scot failed to connect properly with the ball and the chance was gone.

Blues had a real let-off after 56 minutes when Bolton goalscorer Beckford powered a header against the Blues crossbar with Randolph beaten.

Against the run of play Bolton doubled their lead on 64 minutes through former Blues man Neil Danns.

Liam Feeney found space on the right before whipping in a cross. The normally reliable Randolph misjudged the flight of the ball and it bounced kindly for Danns at the far post to nod it home from close range.

Blues found themselves back in the contest on 69 minutes when substitute Novak forced Nikola Zigic's header home, right on the line.

The goal seemed to give Blues an extra spring in their step and they began to pile the pressure on, but ultimately they were unsuccessful in breaching the Bolton goal for a second time, although they did have a great claim for a penalty turned down in the final minutes when Callum Reilly's shot struck Feeney's raised hands. 

    Latest Match Reports