Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 09 Feb 13 at 17:20 PM

Charlton Athletic 1 Blues 1

Blues grabbed a dramatic stoppage time point in the capital to stretch their unbeaten run to five matches.

All appeared lost due to Yann Kermorgrant’s 88th minute header for Charlton Athletic, but Wade Elliott tapped in from close range in the 93rd minute.

Blues started positively at Valley, enjoying success on the counter attack. A lovely move from their own box in the 9th minute resulted in Wade Elliott shooting just a couple of feet over the bar.

But the Addicks quickly adapted to a difficult playing surface and pinned the visitors back in their own half.

Johnnie Jackson’s free-kick on 11 minutes across the face of the area was met by Dale Stephens, but a timely Callum Reilly block prevented the deadlock from being broken. Moments later and Jack Butland had to be alert to claw away Jackson’s goal-bound corner.

The onslaught continued and Butland was called into action again. This time, Ricardo Fuller took advantage of Paul Robinson losing possession and glided past Curtis Davies, but Butland did terrifically well to tip Fuller’s strike – bound for the bottom corner – past the post.

Lee Clark’s men seemed to have weathered storm, but Lawrie Wilson was still presented with a free-header from a Jackson corner. The 25-year-old couldn’t beat Butland’s near post however.

Wilson drifted in behind the Blues defence again, although he could only find Butland with a low effort.

Out of nowhere on 35 minutes, Birmingham had shouts for a penalty turned down, when Rob Hall was fiercely protesting to the referee after going down under Michael Morrison’s challenge.

Bar Scott Wagstaff’s deflected strike that just flew wide on 47 minutes, Blues stepped up their game in the second period.

Rob Hall became a threat and he had Ben Hamer scampering across his goal with a testing attempt. The West Ham United loanee then flashed a ball tantalisingly across goal, after Wade Elliott leapt upon some sloppy Charlton defending.

The Londoners were soon back on the attack and could have taken the lead via Fuller’s curling shot that went narrowly wide. Instead of could, they should been 1-0 up but for Cedric Evina lashing wide from just six-yards out.

A breathtaking passage of play then ensued in the 63rd minute.

Initially, Fuller broke into Blues’ box and smacked the ball against Curtis Davies’ legs. Fortunately, Butland reacted quickly enough to save the ball on the line. Birmingham then swiftly broke down the opposite end of the pitch, with Marlon King inches away from curling a finish into the bottom corner.

Four minutes later and the Reds had a penalty shout of their own, when a goalmouth scramble developed. A Charlton player went down amongst the melee of bodies but nothing was given – and Wagstaff couldn’t quite the scoop the ball underneath Butland when following up.

The England international then produced a sensational stop on 81 minutes, somehow clawing away Wagstaff’s on-target strike. Sandwiched in between this was Steven Caldwell’s header straight at Hamer and King’s tame free-kick, which was also straight down Hamer’s throat.

The hosts looked to have stolen the points on 88 minutes when Kermorgrant headed through Butland’s legs from Chris Solly’s cross.

But the away side showed great courage and salvaged a draw three minutes into injury time. Chris Burke’s cross-come-shot found Elliot and the former Burnley man swept the ball the home in front of the travelling Blues contingent.

Charlton: Ben Hamer, Chris Solly, Cedric Evina, Leon Cort, Michael Morrison, Lawrie Wilson (Danny Green 71), Dale Stephens, Johnnie Jackson, Scott Wagstaff (Dorian Dervite 90), Yann Kermorgant, Ricardo Fuller (Bradley Wright-Phillips 90).
Subs not used:  Matt Taylor, Rhoys Wiggins, Bradley Pritchard, Salim Kerkar.

Goals: Kermorgrant (88)

Bookings: Wright-Phillips (90+1)

Blues: Jack Butland, Paul Caddis, Steven Caldwell, Curtis Davies, Paul Robinson, Chris Burke, Morgaro Gomis (Wes Thomas 68), Callum Reilly (Nikola Zigic 90), Wade Elliott, Rob Hall (Nathan Redmond 73), Marlon King.
Subs not used: Colin Doyle, Mitch Hancox, Hayden Mullins, Peter Lovenkrands.

Goals: Elliott (90+3)

Bookings: Reilly (84)

Referee: A. D’Urso

Attendance: 17, 269

    Latest Match Reports