Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Fri 12 Apr 13 at 22:30 PM

Leicester City 2 Blues 2

Chris Burke’s injury time penalty rescued a point for Blues at the King Power Stadium.

Leicester City twice took the lead thanks to Matty James’ corners wreaking havoc, but Nikola Zigic’s ninth goal of the season first levelled the scores from close range, then substitute Burke dramatically placed his spot kick past Kasper Schmeichel in the 91st minute.

The penalty was a hotly contested decision but the referee adjudged Ravel Morrison to have been clipped by David Nugent inside the area.

Little did this matter, though, as Blues edged moved seven points clear of the npower Championship relegation zone.

Lee Clark made two changes to his side in the East Midlands, with Morgaro Gomis and Shane Ferguson replacing Jonathan Spector (ankle) and Wes Thomas respectively.

Blues saw their fair share of the ball early on, but Leicester soon took the lead courtesy of the unlucky Curtis Davies on 12 minutes.

After Jack Butland turned behind Nugent’s 30-yard stinger for a corner, James’ inch-perfect delivery was headed in by Davies, who was under pressure from Wes Morgan’s presence.

The visitors tried to settle back into their rhythm, but Paul Robinson’s misjudged header forced Butland to rush out and block Jeff Schlupp’s attempt on goal.

Two minutes later and the Foxes went even closer to scoring a second, but Andy King’s header from James’ corner thankfully flew inches over Butland’s crossbar.

Blues managed to see through this tricky spell of the contest – and then went on the attack.

Nathan Redmond was profiting when cutting in off his right wing, and twice drew smart saves out of Schmeichel at the Dane’s near post.

Form the resulting corner – after Redmond’s second effort – Robinson unleashed a thunderous volley that was blocked on the line by Paul Konchesky.

An open first-half fizzled out as the heavens opened, however, Nugent did lash a shot across the face of goal on 35 minutes.

Clark’s men nearly found themselves level 10 minutes after the interval; frustratingly Wade Elliott curled a shot narrowly past Schmeichel’s far post.

But Blues didn’t have to wait long for an equaliser, though, as a brilliantly worked goal was rounded off by an in-form Zigic.

A one-two between Paul Caddis and Ravel Morrison, led to the former squaring the ball across the six-yard box for Zigic to tap the ball into an empty net.

The St. Andrew’s outfit almost fell behind again immediately afterwards, but the upright was in the way of Schlupp’s ferocious strike.

However, Schlupp made amends by heading home James’ corner from point-blank range for a 2-1 lead.

But Blues had the last say on a wet Leicestershire night, with Burke coolly stroking his penalty into the bottom corner for a valuable draw.

    Latest Match Reports