Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 09 Nov 13 at 17:00 PM

The Report: Huddersfield 1 Blues 3

Two-goal hero Kyle Bartley won the game for Blues - but found himself having an early bath at the John Smith's Stadium.

The centre-back powered home two second-half headers to bag all three points for the visitors. However, it wasn't quite a dream ending for the loanee from Swansea City as he found himself sent off for a second bookable offence having stepped over an advertising hoarding as he celebrated in front of the 814 travelling Blues fans.

Blues had opened the scoring in the tenth minute when Nikola Zigic reacted first to slide home the rebound from a Lee Novak effort that had initially been well-saved by Alex Smithies. 

Huddersfield drew level in the 31st minute when Anthony Gerrard headed home Adam Hammill's free-kick before Bartley met two Jesse Lingard set-pieces in the 66th and 81st minutes.

Novak had already flashed a warning shot at Smithies in the Terriers' net before the visitors' opener arrived. A great interception from Lingard in just the second minute had set the ex-Huddersfield man on his way down the left and his low drive was brilliantly turned away by Smithies. The hosts were dealt a big blow as a result of that move with skipper Peter Clarke limping off with a knee injury following a collision with Lingard.

Smithies repeated another fine save to deny Novak from yards out, from birthday boy Mitch Hancox's low cross, but on this occasion he couldn't stop Zigic sliding in to hand Blues the lead. 

Zigic looked to have turned provider for Lingard in the 25th minute when he latched on to Callum Reilly's throughball and teed up the Manchester United youngster only to have been flagged offside in the build up.

Huddersfield were level just after the half-an-hour mark; Gerrard losing his marker just inside the Blues area to send in Hammill's set-piece from the left.

After the break, Chris Burke was forced off with what appeared to be an Achilles' injury to be replaced by Andy Shinnie.

Both goalkeepers were being kept busy but Blues soon took advantage of Huddersfield's frailties at set-pieces. Novak's deflected shot won a corner from the left and Lingard sent the ball in to find the head of Bartley for 2-1. 

With Huddersfield pressing, Blues knew they needed a third to kill the game off and it arrived with nine minutes of normal time remaining. Shinnie was tripped on the right flank and Lingard stepped up to again find Bartley for an unstoppable effort. 

With Blues now down to ten as a result of what the referee judged to be an overenthusiastic celebration from Bartley, Dan Burn replaced Lingard. 

There was still time for Zigic to  feed in Shinnie on the left of the area with a tidy reverse pass but the Scotsman's effort ended up in the side-netting.  

    Latest Match Reports