Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 01 Jan 14 at 16:59 PM

The Report: Blues 1 Barnsley 1

Blues made it ten games unbeaten with a 1-1 draw against Barnsley on New Year’s Day.

But having seen Nikola Zigic fire Blues into a tenth minute lead, it was ultimately a another disappointing afternoon for the St. Andrew’s faithful who have not seen their side win at home since October.

Lee Clark made a solitary change to his starting XI with Callum Reilly replacing the injured Tom Adeyemi in midfield.

On a wet and blustery afternoon at St. Andrews’s it was Blues who adapted to the conditions more quickly, although it was Barnsley who had the first attempt of note on goal when Jacob Mellis tested Darren Randolph with a low shot from the edge of the box.

With just ten minutes played Blues found themselves in front courtesy of Nikola Zigic. 

Good interplay down the left by the hosts saw the ball find Callum Reilly on the by-line. Reilly took on his marker before firing a low ball across the front of the Barnsley goal where it was deflected into the path of Zigic who was on hand to stab it home from just a few yards out.

Blues continued to look dangerous, particularly on the break. Chris Burke’s left-footed effort was saved by Luke Steele and then Dan Burn was desperately unlucky to see his header rebound back off the bar. 

However, it was certainly not all one way traffic as Barnsley were causing problems for the Blues defence, particularly with forays down the hosts’ right flank.

With just over half an hour played Barnsley had a golden opportunity to level things after Randolph spilled Brek Shea’s powerful shot. But Mellis made a real hash of it as he miscued the ball from just six yards out and sent it wide of the post with pretty much an open goal at his disposal.

As half-time approached Blues came close to doubling their advantage after Chris Burke burst through with the ball, but Steele managed produced a great blocking save to deny the Scottish winger.

The second half started at a decent pace, with both sides pressing forward when allowed.

With 53 minutes on the clock Andy Shinnie should have done better when Lee Novak’s pass found him at the edge of the area, but he curled his shot well wide.

Blues were forced to make a change to their personnel after 57 minutes when Kyle Bartley limped off with what looked to be a hamstring injury, to be replaced by Hayden Mullins.

A minute later goalscorer Zigic prevented a certain goal for Barnsley when he headed former Blues loanee Peter Ramage’s header off his line.

But it was all-square after 61 minutes when Mellis scored direct from a free-kick on the right after he curled the ball round the Blues wall and past Randolph into the back of the net. 

The Barnsley goal seemed to re-energise the hosts and they began to enjoy their best spell of the match and were regularly forcing Barnsley onto the back foot.  

Olly Lee was just inches away from a goal when he headed the ball into the side netting from just five yards out.

As the game entered stoppage time substitute Peter Lovenkrands burst through on the right before firing just wide of the far post and then in the final seconds Zigic headed over.

    Latest Match Reports