Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 19 Apr 14 at 17:00 PM

The Report: Nottm Forest 1 Blues 0

Blues were disappointingly beaten by a solitary goal at the City Ground on Saturday.

It was almost inevitable that it would come from the boot of former-Blues striker Matt Derbyshire.

Lee Clark made three changes to his starting XI with Mitch Hancox, Nikola Zigic and Shane Ferguson in for Lee Novak, Andy Shinnie and Federico Macheda.

Blues made the worst possible start as they found themselves behind after just 97 seconds. And to make matters worse it was gifted to the hosts on a plate.

Jonathan Spector’s short pass was intercepted by Matt Derbyshire, before he ran on with the ball and slid it past the advancing Darren Randolph.

The goal gave Forest a real lift and they came close to notching a second after 20 minutes when Derbyshire’s cross found Ben Osborn at the far post, but he headed his effort a yard over the bar with just Randolph to beat.

Although they were without a win in their previous 13 outings, Forest were looking more like the side that had been seriously challenging for promotion earlier in the campaign and were comfortably cutting through Blues at will.

Derbyshire tried his luck from 30 yards out and then Osborn let fly from a similar distance.

It really was one-way traffic at this stage with Blues almost permanently on the back foot and struggling to present any sort of attacking threat of their own.

They finally had a sight on goal after 40 minutes when Nikola Zigic was fouled 25 yards out, but unfortunately Paul Caddis slammed the resultant free-kick straight into the Forest wall.

Blues were given a major scare in the run up to half-time when Jamie Paterson’s low shot flew just inches wide of the far post with Randolph stranded on the ground.

Lee Clark made a change at the break by replacing Shane Ferguson with Liverpool loanee Jordon Ibe.

Having presumably been stung by their manager’s words at half-time, Blues began the second-half much more brightly

They went close to netting an equaliser when Forest defender Jamaal Lascelles and Karl Darlow collided with each other, which resulted in the Forest keeper spilling the ball. But with Zigic odds on to score, it was taken off his foot and cleared behind.

At the other end of the pitch, Paterson got in behind the Blues defence and was allowed to run in on goal, despite the fact that he clearly looked offside. Fortunately Randolph was on hand to produce a terrific blocking save to deny him.

Just before the hour-mark Macheda was introduced to the proceedings in place of Hancox, as Blues looked to pose more of an attacking threat. 

Slowly but surely they started to ramp up the pressure and Ibe went on a surging run, before shooting two yards wide. Zigic then headed the ball straight into the keeper’s hands.

Blues came desperately close to opening their account with two chances in a matter of seconds. Lovenkrands was just a toe away from directing a deflected ball into an open Forest goal. 
Then Paul Robinson saw his point-blank header somehow blocked by Darlow, who in fairness knew little about it.

To further compound what a had been a poor afternoon for Blues, there was the sight of Robinson being booked in the 90th minute for a foul on Osborn, which means the Blues captain is now suspended for his side’s next three games after accumulating his 15th caution of the season.

Blues will have the opportunity to try and put things right in just two days time when they host to Blackburn Rovers at St. Andrew’s on Easter Monday.
20140328 Blues v Blackburn fiver context

    Latest Match Reports