Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 19 Aug 14 at 21:50 PM

The Report: Blues 2 Ipswich Town 2

Blues were desperately unlucky not to claim all three points against Ipswich Town at St. Andrew’s on Tuesday evening.

Lee Clark’s side looked to be heading for their third successive home victory until the Tractor Boys equalised through Christophe Berra in the fourth minute of stoppage time at the end of the match

David Edgar had earlier headed Blues into a first-half lead, before Ipswich levelled just into second-half. But Blues bounced back through an excellently taken goal from Clayton Donaldson to make it 2-1 before the late, late body blow.

Lee Clark elected to go with the same starting XI that did so well to beat Brighton & Hove Albion at the weekend.

It was a scrappy opening from both sides with neither able to really get the upper hand.

Ipswich were first to have an attempt on target after ten minutes, but Daryl Murphy shot straight at Darren Randolph.

Just before the quarter hour mark Blues went close after Ipswich keeper Dean Gerken dropped Jonathan Grounds’ free-kick, but Lee Novak blasted the ball over the bar.

Minutes later Novak had another opportunity which he headed straight at the Ipswich stopper and then he shot two yards wide of the post.

Blues’ best chance arrived after 25 minutes when David Edgar cut in from the right and laid the ball back for Donaldson, but the Blues striker fired wide from just seven yards whilst leaning backwards.

Blues were looking sharp on the break, with the pace of Donaldson and strike partner Wes Thomas keeping the Ipswich defence on their toes.

But it was a defender that broke the deadlock for Blues when Edgar opened the scoring. Cotterill sent a corner in and Edgar rose unmarked at the far post to head home.

Not content to just sit on their lead, Blues continued to look for a second, but still had to be mindful of an Ipswich side that looked dangerous themselves on the counter-attack.

Half time: Blues 1 Ipswich Town 0

Ipswich were right back in the match less than five minutes into the second half, and it came in a slightly fortuitous fashion.

The visitors were awarded a free-kick on the left. Paul Anderson sent it into Blues box, where it seemed to come off Berra and fly past Randolph into the far corner of the net.

The goal inevitably raised Ipswich’s spirits and put them on the front foot.

Anderson then tested Randolph with a fizzing effort, which the Blues keeper did well to push behind.

With an hour played Clark made his first substitution for Blues when he sent on Stephen Gleeson for David Davis.

And just minutes after his arrival on the pitch the midfielder played a major role in the build-up to the goal. He blocked the ball with his chest and it fell to Thomas. Thomas slid an exquisite pass through to Donaldson who had beaten the offside trap and ran on with the ball. Ipswich keeper Gerken looked to narrow the angle, but calm as you like Donaldson sent it past him and into the back of the net.
The pendulum was swinging back very much in Blues’ favour and Donaldson shot well wide when he should have done better and then Grant Hall headed just off target.

Blues had a major shout for a penalty after Caddis looked to be upended in the area, but referee Roger East waved away the protests.

Ipswich weren’t finished and Jonathan Grounds did excellently to block Luke Chambers’ goalbound effort.

But deep into stoppage time Ipswich punted the ball forward and it eventually found Berra who claimed his second goal of the game with a header.
20140818 Sunderland (h)

    Latest Match Reports