Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 16 Sep 14 at 21:36 PM

The Report: Blues 0 Sheffield Wed 2

Blues suffered their first Sky Bet Championship home defeat of the season as they were disappointingly beaten by Sheffield Wednesday on Tuesday evening.

Lee Clark’s side were ultimately punished for missing a host of first-half opportunities as Stevie May fired the visitors into a 67th minute lead, before substitute Jeremy Helan sealed the victory with a minute of normal time remaining.

Clark made just one change to his starting XI with Paul Robinson replacing the injured Grant Hall in the centre of defence. There was no place for teenager Koby Arthur following his early recall from a loan spell at Cheltenham Town, as he was suffering with a tight hamstring.

A neat move from Blues saw them fashion the first opening after just four minutes. David Davis did brilliantly to win the ball, before passing it into Wes Thomas who then back-heeled it for Clayton Donaldson. Donaldson let fly with a shot from 20 yards but he was unable to keep it down and it flew over the bar.

But it was the Owls that should have taken the lead four minutes later, however, Atdhe Nuhiu fired wide with just Darren Randolph to beat.

Both sides were going for it attacking-wise and Paul Robinson sent a diving header just a yard wide following David Cotterill’s corner.

Blues were dealt a blow after just 16 minutes when Neal Eardley was forced off with what appeared to be a knee injury and he was replaced by Jonathan Spector.

Thomas had a great opportunity to open his account when Cotterill curled in a deep a ball from the right, but his header was off target.

Blues continued to press and Brek Shea had the next chance, but he shot into the side netting from an acute angle.

With 32 played, Blues were just inches away from taking the lead after Shea headed the ball down for Paul Caddis, who hit a terrific shot from distance that careered off the post with Wednesday keeper Keiren Westwood well-beaten.

As the game headed towards half-time Westwood did superbly to deny Thomas from close-range.

Half-time: Blues 0 Sheffield Wednesday 0

Blues were almost caught on the break less than two minutes into the second-half, but thankfully Chris Maguire fired wide. Seconds later the same player forced Randolph into a diving save. The Blues stopper was only able to push it into
Nuhiu’s path, but his follow-up effort crashed off the post.

Clark made his second change of the evening when he sent on Demarai Gray for Shea after just 54 minutes.

Wednesday began to enjoying their best spell of the match and were putting Blues under pressure.

David Edgar was forced to put in a goal-saving challenge to dispossess May with the Wednesday man through on goal.

The pressure paid off after 67 minutes as Wednesday took the lead through Stevie May who evaded several challenges inside the Blues box before drilling a low shot past Randolph.

Stung by the disappointment of conceding, Blues pushed forward in search of an equaliser, but they were struggling to break down a well-marshalled Owls defence.

After 80 minutes Robinson saw his goalbound shot blocked just yards in front of the line.

Then with Blues desperately searching for an equaliser it was game over after 89 minutes when Drenthe converted Wednesday’s second goal.
20140915 Fulham home

    Latest Match Reports