Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 08 Nov 14 at 17:00 PM

The Report: Blues 0 Cardiff City 0

Blues extended their unbeaten run to three games with a hard-fought 0-0 draw against Cardiff City.

Both teams had opportunities to break the deadlock in a fairly even encounter, but were not quite able to do so.

Gary Rowett named the same starting XI for the third consecutive match.

On a blustery afternoon at St. Andrew’s, Blues fashioned their first opening when David Cotterill tried his luck from 30 yards, but his shot flew wide of the goal.

At the other end Anthony Pilkington had an attempt from a similar distance, but it achieved a similar outcome. Pilkington then tested Darren Randolph with the first chance on target with a low strike, but the Blues stopper held onto it at the second attempt.

On the quarter-hour mark Blues lost the ball in their own and it eventually found its way through to Adam Le Fondre. With The Cardiff man though on goal, Randolph prevented a certain goal by saving with his foot.

Blues were struggling to keep hold of the ball at this point and Paul Robinson very nearly deflected Federico Macheda’s cross past Randolph, but the keeper managed to put his hands on it. 

As the half progressed the play was scrappy from both sides, but Blues were certainly improving as an attacking force.

With 39 minutes played, Blues were awarded a free kick just outside the area, but Cotterill curled the resultant dead ball wide.

Cardiff should have taken the lead three minutes later when Macheda was allowed through on the Blues goal despite the fact that he clearly looked to be offside. Fortunately for the hosts Randolph was equal to the task and saved his curling shot with his foot.

Half-time: Blues 0 Cardiff City 0

Cardiff immediately ramped up the pressure in the opening stages after the break and Randolph was forced to punch a dangerous cross away.

Macheda then stabbed the ball home from close range but the linesman had already flagged for offside.

With 53 on the clock, Rowett made a double substitution by sending on Wes Thomas and Demarai Gray on for Andy Shinnie and Koby Arthur.

Blues were being forced to defend in numbers and had to throw their bodies in front of several shots on goal. But the introduction of Thomas alongside Donaldson was beginning to cause the Cardiff defence some problems and also raise the spirits of the crowd.

Blues looked to have take the lead just after an hour when Thomas expertly turned home Gray’s cross at the far post, but the goal was chalked out after he was adjudged to be offside.

With 20 minutes to play Blues won a succession of corners but they were unable to take advantage.

It was becoming end to end stuff now and Gray saw his goal-wards bound shot deflected behind.

The lively Blues youngster then saw his acrobatic volley well-saved by Cardiff keeper David Marshall.

With two minutes of normal time remaining Caddis’ long ball found Donaldson, but the Blues front man appeared to slip as he shot and the ball went just past the far post.

Blues were forced to see out the remaining few minutes when Thomas was given a straight red for an off the ball incident involving Sean Morrison.
20141022 Blues Loyalty context

    Latest Match Reports