Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 17 Jan 15 at 17:21 PM

The Report: Leeds United 1 Blues 1

Birmingham City had to settle for a point from their trip to Elland Road as Leeds United left it late to claim a share of the points.

Paul Caddis' first half penalty cancelled out late on by a Luke Murphy strike to deny Gary Rowett's side their third straight league win.

Blues got off to a flyer when Paul Caddis put them ahead after seven minutes from the penalty spot, after Clayton Donaldson was brought down.

The visitors continued to press forward with David Cotterill and Andy Shinnie both trying their luck from distance and both getting the same outcome as their efforts were dragged wide.

The home side's first effort fell to full-back Scott Wootton. Luke Murphy's free-kick found Wootton unmarked but his header wasn't troubling Darren Randolph in the Blues goal.

After 25 minutes Stephen Gleeson stung the palms of Leeds' 'keeper Marco Silvestri; the Irishman's effort from distance brilliantly tipped over.

Leeds grew into the match as the first half went on, with the aerial threat of Steve Morison and the poaching of Mirco Antenucci. The pair very much involved as on numerous occasions Morison nodding crosses down to the Italian.

Just after the half hour mark, the aforementioned strikers for Leeds combined again, this time Antenucci bringing a good save out of Randolph.

Nine minutes before the interval and Giuseppe Bellusci brought the best out of 'keeper Randolph. The Italian defender vollying another Murphy free-kick goalwards, but Randolph pulled off a brilliant one handed save to preserve Blues lead.

Blues headed in at half-time good value for their lead, whilst playing some good counter attacking football.

In the second half, the home side adopted a more direct approach, trying to utilise Steve Morison's aerial ability and seven minutes into the second period it nearly paid off, Morison striking the upright, a glancing header struck the post and fortunately bounced back into Randolph's arms.

Just before the hour and Morison again went close, this time from a Murphy corner, the ball fell kindly for the striker who stabbed an effort inches wide of Randolph's post.

Despite Leeds growing dominance in the second half, it was Blues nearly extended their lead. Firstly through a driving run from Demarai gray, who saw his effort saved by Silvestri.

A minute later they went even closer, Gleeson's cross finding Donaldson, who's header struck the post before rolling across the face of goal.

As the 90th drew closer, the Elland Road crowd grew in volume and saw two penalty shouts denied.

It looked as though the Blues defence was going to stand firm and appeared that they had weathered the Leeds' storm, but with four minutes to go, the hosts second half dominance paid off, Sam Byram getting the better of Grounds to get his cross in, which wasn't cleared to safety by Blues, which allowed Murphy to smash home the equiliser through a crowd of closing Blues defenders.

A share of the spoils for Gary Rowett's side as they continue to look to climb the Championship table.

    Latest Match Reports