Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 24 Feb 15 at 22:00 PM

The Report: Ipswich Town 4 Blues 2

Birmingham City gave a spirited performance, despite their 4-2 defeat at Portman Road to Ipswich Town.

Blues fell behind in the first half. but two David Davis goals after half-time gave Blues a glimmer of hope but Kevin Bru's injury time goal sealed the points for the home side.

The hosts started brighter and found the early half chances falling their way.

Jonathan Parr's shot from the edge of the area found the gloves of Darren Randolph after two minutes but that was easily gathered.

After ten minutes, good defending from David Cotterill prevented Luke Chambers getting to Paul Anderon's cross and Daryl Murphy's strike minutes later fired off the turf and wide.

Freddie Sears caused Blues some problems with his pace. Firstly, beating the offside trap, only to see his cross flash across Randolph's six-yard box; then just after 20 minutes, his effect was deflected wide.

Three minutes later and full-back Tyrone Mings headed the hosts in front when he lost his marker and powered in Anderson's corner.

That sprung Blues into life, two minutes after going behind and Blues nearly got lucky, Bialkowski in the Ipswich goal fumbled a Cotterill corner but Clayton Donaldson, Jonathan Spector and Wes Thomas couldn't direct the ball goalwards.

Shortly after and Donaldson had by far Blues' best chance but his one-on-one effort was saved by the face of Bialkowski.

The hosts came out in the second-half looking to extend their lead and two minutes after the interval very nearly did. Good trickery from Mings forced a corner, from which Murphy rose highest and rattled the crossbar.

Moments later and their lead was extended, Blues' defence, playing a high line, got caught out and Freddie Sears latched onto a ball over the top and fired past Randolph from the edge of the area.

Just before the hour mark and Blues were back in the match. The returning David Davis heading home a whipped in cross from Paul Caddis from ten yards out.

The deficit didn't stay at one for long though, the hosts restoring their two-goal lead seven minutes later after Sears bagged his second of the night, as he pounced on a loose ball from Jonathan Grounds.

With the score at 3-1, Blues didn't give up and Davis bagged his second of the night. Gleeson's floated cross, headed out, but only as far as Davis on the edge of the box who's shot eventually beat Bialkowski, to once again allow Blues back into the tie.

With little over ten minutes remaining and Blues chasing the game, the match was wide open and Blues had Randolph and Spector to thank with five minutes to go. Randolph stopping Murphy and Spector scooping Sears' rebound over the bar.

Into injury time and substitute Nikola Zigic nearly pulled Blues level, the giant Serbian's header coming back off the crossbar, the striker headed the rebound home, only to be denied by the linesman's flag.

Seconds later and the hosts had put the game to bed, with Blues pushing forward, Murphy once again brought Randolph into action but the rebound was tapped home by Kevin Bru to seal the points.

A spirited second-half performance in which Blues nearly pulled level against the play-off hopefuls.

    Latest Match Reports