Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 07 Mar 15 at 17:00 PM

The Report: Derby County 2 Blues 2

Birmingham City scored two stoppage time goals to come back and claim a point against promotion hopefuls Derby County.

Derby held a two goal lead courtesy of Jamie Ward and Thomas Ince but a 93rd minute penalty from Paul Caddis and a 96th minute equaliser from Robert Tesche made sure Gary Rowett's side left the iPro Stadium with a share of the points.

The home side started the more dominant of the two and that pattern continued through out the first half.

Neither side created too much in front of goal, that was until Derby took the lead through Ward's 20th minute strike. Johnny Russell burst into the box and saw his curling effort well saved by Darren Randolph but he could only push the ball into the path of the oncoming Ward who's effort went in off the post.

Despite Blues raising their game since the goal, the hosts still looked in control and could have gone further ahead just before the half hour mark when Will Hughes saw his effort from distance rattle the crossbar.

Blues grew into the match as the half wore on and both Tesche and Andy Shinnie skipped their way through the Derby defence but both were unable to find the ball to release Lee Novak in front of goal.

Two minutes after the restart and Novak had Blues best chance; after a superb ball from David Davis, Novak found himself bearing down on goal, the striker tried to lob the ball over the on-rushing 'keeper but got too much on the finish and saw his effort loop over the bar.

A minute later and Derby pounced and doubled their lead through Thomas Ince. The tricky winger skipping past Jonathan Grounds before firing past Randolph into the far corner.

It then very nearly got worse for Blues when Russell saw his effort cleared off the line.

David Cotterill went close with a free-kick and Lloyd Dyer saw his effort from a tight angle deflected behind for a corner, before Rowett introduced Clayton Donaldson and Wes Thomas into the fold.

The pair of the made a difference up top and after 77 minutes Donaldson found himself in on goal but a last ditch tackle denied the striker pulling a goal back.

The fourth official's board read three minutes of stoppage time and in the 92nd minute Blues were awarded a penalty.

Tesche broke into the box and was brought down by Ince and captain Paul Caddis pulled one back from the spot.

Having already played two minutes over the additional three, Blues were awarded a free-kick. Cotterill pumped it into the box and Jonathan Spector nearly levelled but Grant was equal to it to push it out for a corner.

In came the corner, evading everybody but kept alive by Thomas who hooked it towards the back post where the ball was bundled home to the delight of the 2.263 travelling Blues fans.

Clayton Donaldson claiming the all important final touch as Blues left it very late to nick a point from The Rams.

    Latest Match Reports