Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Mon 06 Apr 15 at 17:29 PM

The Report: Bournemouth 4 Blues 2

Gary Rowett's side found themselves at the wrong end of a 4-2 defeat to Bournemouth on a sunny Easter Monday- despite racing into a 2-0 lead.

Blues, who scored two goals in the space of three minutes were pegged back by goals from Steve Cook and Callum Wilson in the first half before second half strikes from Yann Kermorgant and Charlie Daniels swung the tie in the hosts favour.

In only the third minute Blues' hearts were in their mouths as Callum Wilson blocked Darren Randolph's clearance (out of his hands), the Blues goalkeepers' blushes spared as the ball looped back over the Blues keeper and narrowly miss the Blues goal - it wouldn't have counted though as referee Andy Woolmer awarded Blues the free-kick.

Four minutes later and the hosts went close through Andrew Surman. Michael Morrison's inadvertent flick found Surman at the far post but his header was blocked by Blues skipper Paul Robinson.

With the hosts dominating possession of the ball, Blues looked threatening on the counter attack; Clayton Donaldson getting himself in behind the defence but his pull back was cleared by Tommy Elphick.

Just before the quarter of an hour mark and Wilson had his side's best attempt at goal. Fraser whipping in a dangerours cross from the left hand side where Wilson got across Morrison and fired inches wide of Randolph's post.

Four minutes later and Blues counter attacking paid off when Donaldson put Blues ahead. Andy Shinnie finding the run of the Blues number nine in behind the Cherries back line before Blues' top scorer calmly looped the ball over the top of the on rushing Artur Boruc.

Three minutes later and Blues - playing with the bit between their teeth - doubled their lead when David Cotterill burst into the box before firing a low effort across Boruc into the far corner.

With the hosts chasing the match and trying get back into the match, it was Blues who looked more likely to extend their lead - Jonathan Grounds going close before Donaldson rounded the 'keeper only to be denied by the covering defender who cleared off the Cherries goal line.

Six minutes before the break and Bournemouth pulled one back through centre-back Steve Cook following a scramble in the Blues 6 yard box following Matt Ritchie's corner.

Then on the stroke of half-time Wilson pulled his side level - rounding Randolph before slotting home.

Now with the momentum behind them, the hosts came out gunning for Blues in the opening minutes of the second half and within two minutes had the opportunity to go ahead from the penalty spot - which Kermorgant duly despatched following Robinson's foul on Wilson.

Despite going behind, Blues responded well and very nearly pulled level five minutes after going behind - a delightful dink by Shinnie found an unmarked Donaldson who volley inches wide.

The hosts pressed forward in search of more goals, Elphick striking the woodwork before Wilson was denied by the feet of Randolph.

Then with 16 minutes remaining Charlie Daniels put the result beyond doubt when his effort bounced and looped over Randolph following goal-saving blocks by Grounds and Paul Caddis.

Three minutes after and things seemed to go from bad to worse for Blues when captain Paul Robinson saw red for bringing down Wilson just outside the area.

With Blues down to ten men, the hosts continued in search of more goals but Harry Arter was denied by the upright and substitute Kenwyne Jones was denied by a superb save by Randolph in the dying minutes.

Ultimately a disappointing afternoon for Rowett's side, who at one point looked in the box seat against the promotion chasing Cherries.

    Latest Match Reports