Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 15 Sep 15 at 21:30 PM

Report: Blues 0 Nottingham Forest 1

Blues' unbeaten start to the season came to a disappointing end on Tuesday evening as they were narrowly beaten by Nottingham Forest.

Dexter Blackstock's 54th minute goal was enough to separate the sides.

Blues failed to reach the heights that they have shown much of this season, but in truth Forest deserved credit for the way they stifled the host's attacking intent.

There was just one change to the Blues starting XI from the side that beat Bristol City at the weekend, with Jacques Maghoma replacing Demarai Gray and Gray dropping to the substitutes’ bench.

Most of the early pressure in the game came from Blues with Maghoma in particular looking lively.

After eight minutes Forest won a free-kick in central position some 30 yards out, but Henri Lansbury failed to keep his shot down and blasted his effort over the bar.

As the game approached mid-way through the half there was little to report in terms of proper goalmouth action.

Both teams were struggling to put together serious attacking moves and there were plenty of niggly fouls which were causing the contest to stop-start.

With 44 minutes played Blues had by far their best chance of the half when Magoma's pass found Jon Toral in the Forest box.

Toral swivelled before letting fly with a shot from 16 yards which just skimmed the bar.

Half-time: Blues 0 Nottingham Forest 0

Five minutes after the restart Blues went close to opening their account when Paul Caddis swung a delicious cross into the far post, but Clayton Donaldson just failed to direct his header properly and his chance flew over the bar.

Blues finally appeared to be getting to grips with the game and looking more like the team they had all season.

But on 54 minutes it was Rowett's men that found themselves behind when Blackstock fired Forest in the lead.

The ball found Jamie Ward on the left and as Paul Caddis attempted to challenge him, the Blues full-back ended up in a heap on the floor leaving the Forest man with a free run.

He cut across into the area before sliding a low ball into the Blues six-yard box where Blackstock arrived just ahead of Jonathan Grounds and guided the ball into the back of the net.

Toral should have done better when he collected the ball on the left of the Forest area. But after dribbling his way past two defenders and looking to shoot, he was caught in possession and Forest cleared the danger.

Blues continued to go in search of an equaliser and after Cotterill sent in a free-kick the ball eventually dropped to Gray, but his stinging low effort flew a yard the wrong side of the post.

With 75 minutes on the clock Blues were fortunate not to find themselves two down after Forest counter-attacked at speed through Ryan Mendes. Caddis slipped for a second time which allowed Mendes to send in a telling cross, but fortunately Jonathan Spector was there to clear the danger.

In the remaining minutes Blues threw plenty of men forwards but were unable to break down a dogged Forest defence

They now just have three days to wait before they have the opportunity to make amends with a tricky trip to Ipswich Town on Friday evening.

    Latest Match Reports