Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 05 Dec 15 at 16:53 PM

Report: Blues 0 Huddersfield Town 2

Blues’ disappointing recent run of home form continued as they suffered a 2-0 loss to Huddersfield Town at St. Andrew’s.

Joe Lolley fired the visitors into the lead within the first minute, before Nahki Wells sealed the win in the 81st minute.

In fairness it was a disjointed performance from a Blues side that failed to reach the heights that they know they are capable of and they could have little complaint with the result.

Gary Rowett made two changes to his starting 11 with David Davis coming in for Jacques Maghoma in midfield and Neal Eardley replacing Paul Caddis at right-back.

Amongst the starting line up for Huddersfield was former Blues loanee Emyr Huws.

Blues made a disastrous start to the match as they fell behind after just 31 seconds.

Rowett’s side had pushed forwards from the kick-off, but Huddersfield came straight back at them and Jamie Patterson’s pass found Sean Scannell deep inside Blues’ half.

Scannell broke forward down the right largely unchallenged before squaring the ball across the Blues penalty area to the unmarked Lolley, who then had the simple task of stroking it past Tomasz Kuszczak.

It took until the quarter-hour mark for Blues to fashion their first attempt when Demarai Gray cut in from the left before testing Jed Steer with low stinging shot, which the Terriers keeper did well to push behind.

That was the first of three chances in quick succession.

The next saw Nahki Wells' low cross just evade Jamie Paterson five yards out, with the Huddersfield man odds-on to score had he connected with it.  

Then for Blues, Davis’ cross reached Nicolai Brock-Madsen, but the young Dane stabbed his shot wide from just six yards out.

Blues were struggling to get a grip on the game and they came close to conceding a second goal when the ball rattled round their box like a pinball before eventually being cleared.
However, there were showing glimmers of hope in attack. Gray’s pass found Toral, but the on-loan Arsenal man’s goalbound shot was superbly blocked by Ben Chilwell.

Huddersfield had an excellent opportunity to double their advantage just before half-time when Scannell pulled the ball back for Lolley, but this time the midfielder saw his shot deflected wide for a corner.

Half-time: Blues 0 Huddersfield 1

Blues made a bright start to the second-half and less than two minutes in Terriers keeper Steer had to be alert to push away Eardley’s cross-cum shot.

The next opening dropped to the visitors after 53 minutes when Scannell just failed to reach the ball as a deep cross was sent towards the far post and he crashed into the upright.

With Blues in desperate need of a lift Gary Rowett made a double substitution on 60 minutes when he sent Jacques Maghoma on for Nicolai Brock-Madsen and Viv Solomon-Otabor for David Davis.

Toral’s pass looked to have beaten the Huddersfield offside trap and found Maghoma clean through on goal, but the assistant referee raised his flag late on.

On 74 Rowett made his third and final substitution when he sent on Andy Shinnie for Gray.

As they looked to press forwards in search of an equaliser, Blues were looking vulnerable on the counter-attack and Jonathan Spector had to put in a last-gasp challenge with Scannell bearing down on the Blues goal.

At the other end Blues came close to scoring that elusive equaliser, but Toral’s shot from ten yards was brilliantly saved by Steer using his body.

But it was as good as game over for Blues when they conceded a second goal after 81 minutes, which they could and should have avoided.

Scannell burst down the right with real pace. Maghoma chased after him but was just brushed aside and left on the turf and then Grounds had an opportunity to halt his progress stop but failed to do so.

That allowed Scannell to cut inside before sliding a pass across the six-yard box where Wells was able to tap the ball into the back of the net.

It could have been three minutes later when Paterson’s goalbound volley was deflected just wide.

Blues now have a week to recover and regroup before they make the difficult trip up to Middlesbrough.
20141116 Half season ticket context

    Latest Match Reports