Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 12 Jan 16 at 22:11 PM

Report: Nottingham Forest 1 Blues 1

Blues were held to a 1-1 draw by 10 man Nottingham Forest at The City Ground.

Jon Toral’s excellent diving header gave Blues the lead, but Matt Mills replied with a headed goal just four minutes later.

But despite two good finishes, the fixture will be remembered for a handful of contentious referee decisions.

Blues felt Ryan Mendes should have been sent off for an off the ball challenge on Maikel Kieftenbeld, whilst Nelson Oliveira could have been booked for the second time for a foul on Paul Robinson.

However, in the 74th minute it was David Vaughan who saw red for a high foot on Clayton Donaldson.

Blues with the man advantage pushed forward in search of the winning goal, but they were unable to get that decisive chance.

In a half that started slowly with limited chances, it was Blues who had the first opening.

Ben Osborn’s left-footed low effort from 22 yards out beat Tomasz Kuszczak, but bounced off the far post and Blues were able to clear.

It was an opportunity that sprung the game into life.

Blues thought they had a claim for a penalty, when Clayton Donaldson was bundled down on the edge of the area, but the referee gave nothing.

Blues responded and scored a minute later.

A beautiful curling delivery from Paul Caddis, dropped past the defender at the near post and Toral was able to glance a diving header from eight yards past Dorus De Vries.

The goal sent the travelling Blues fans into raptures, but Forest immediately pushed forward.

Kuszczak was caught outside the area trying to challenge Mendes for a loose ball and despite remaining calm and clearing, Forest scored minutes later on the half hour mark.

Vaughan’s wicked free-kick delivery was met by Mills, who dispatched his header past Kuszczak.

With both sides pushing forward, the referee was trying to calm down proceedings.

Oliveira was booked for a late aerial challenge on Paul Robinson, whilst Mendes was cautioned for the late tackle off the ball on Kieftenbeld.

The second half started just like the first ended and the referee, who immediately went to his pocket for a second yellow card, decided to have word with Oliveira instead of sending him off.

Tempers were high, but it took the 62nd minute for Blues to get their best chance of the second half.

Toral’s corner was met by an unmarked Michael Morrison from close range, but it cannoed off the keeper and back onto his arm for handball.

Blues were pushing and Bojan Jokic made a great block to deny Jacques Maghoma, whilst Toral saw a deflected effort hit the post and bounce wide.

Forest were on the back foot and it got worse after 74 minutes. Vaughan’s high foot caught Donaldson in the face and the referee issued the midfielder a straight red card.

Blues sensed all three points, but despite throwing James Vaughan and Viv Solomon-Otabor on to the field late on, they were unable to get that decisive final chance.

    Latest Match Reports