Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 30 Jan 16 at 17:28 PM

Report: Bristol City 0 Blues 0

Blues were held to a goalless draw against Bristol City at Ashton Gate.

Gary Rowett kept an unchanged team from last week's 3-0 win over Ipswich Town, but Blues were unable to get that elusive goal in front of the 1,471 traveling away fans.

Stephen Gleeson's free-kick was the closest Blues came in the first-half, but Blues had chances in the second to secure all three points.

Richard O'Donnell made an excellent save to deny Jacques Maghoma, whilst Diego Fabbrini tried to weave back inside instead of shooting in the area.

And in the dying seconds, Clayton Donaldson's cross was just too high for James Vaughan who'd got across his marker.

It was the hosts who got off to the brighter start, putting Blues under pressure in the first minute.

Tomask Kuszcak did well to parry a low volley, whilst Jonathan Kodjia shot wide of the near post from inside the area.

Kuszczak was the busier of the keepers and he did well to claim Marlon Pack’s looping volley and punch clear Kodjia’s effort after Michael Morrison minimised the angle.

Blues’ best chance came on the 22 minute mark, when Jon Toral was bought down just outside the area by Nathan Baker, who was subsequently booked.

After Toral received treatment, Gleeson stepped up and hit a curling shot that struck the wall and rebounded back to him, but his second effort was hooked wide.

Toral was forced to go off on the 34 minute after being unable to shake off Baker’s tackle and was replaced by Jacques Maghoma who was instantly lively.

However, it was the hosts who ended the first-half on top.

Kuszczak was forced to tip over Luke Freeman’s fizzing delivery, whilst Kodjia, who rose highest, headed over from close range.

Blues rode the pressure, but Bristol City thought they’d won a penalty deep into stoppage time.

Lee Tomlin dropped his shoulder and fell down under a Paul Caddis tackle in the left channel. The referee, who saw the incident, waited and awarded Blues a free-kick with Tomlin subsequently booked for diving.

Blues started the second-half on top and had a great chance to break the deadlock.

Maghoma chested the ball down in the area, but it wouldn’t settle perfectly and he was crowded out trying to shoot.

Rowett's side went close again just before the hour mark, but Grounds’ curling cross behind Bristol’s defence was just too strong for Donaldson at the far post.

It was agonisingly close and Blues continued to push forward.

Maghoma cut inside, rode three tackles and shot towards the top corner, but O’Donnell made an excellent save at full stretch.

Fabbrini was introduced on the 62 minute and he had a good chance 10 minutes later.

A deflection played him into the left channel, but instead of shooting first time he opted to cut inside and he was crowded out.

Both teams continued to press and the hosts could have won it late.

Luke Freeman’s cross was met by Kieran Agard inside the six yard box, but his glancing header bounced wide of the far post.

With seconds left and fans leaving Blues nearly took all three points.

Donaldson skipped past Mark Little on the right, but his cross was just too strong for Vaughan who’d made a run across marker.

    Latest Match Reports