Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 08 Mar 16 at 21:40 PM

Report: Blackburn Rovers 2 Blues 0

Gary Rowett's side suffered their second-successive 2-0 away defeat.

In similar fashion to the defeat at Loftus Road, two quick-fire goals in the first-half sealed the win for the home side.

Tony Watt and Danny Graham scoring in the 20th and 23rd minutes respectively to put the match beyond Rowett's men.

Following his side's impressive display against Hull City last time out, Rowett named an unchanged side at Ewood Park.

After ten minutes, Jon Toral - who had possibly his best game in a Blues shirt in the previous fixture against Hull - had the matches first meaningful effort on goal, the Spaniard reacting quickest to Paul Caddis' cross, unfortunately for Blues his header could only find the side netting.

In Blues' 59 previous league encounters at Ewood Park, they had failed to register a single clean-sheet and after 20 minutes that stat was extended to 60 when Watt put the hosts ahead.

A slight hesitation in the Blues back-line allowed the ball to bounce, kindly falling for Watt who turned well before poking the ball past Tomasz Kuszczak from close range.

Three minutes later and things went from bad to worse for Blues as Graham doubled Rovers' lead.

With Blues high up the pitch, appealing for a penalty after Clayton Donaldson was brought down, the hosts swiftly broke and Graham rode the challenge of Robinson, before composing himself and slotting past Kuszczak.

Blues settled themselves down after the two quick-fire goals.

David Cotterill and Michael Morrison both looked for Donaldson over the top but the striker was thwarted by Jason Steele and Grant Hanley before anything could develop.

Watt again looked threatening five minutes before the break, his bursting, powerful run took him past Morrison and Robinson on the edge of the area, fortunately for Blues, Caddis was on hand to deny Watt and clear.

As half-time approached, Blues finally tested Steele in the Rovers goal. Maikel Kieftenbeld bursting from midfielder before firing an effort straight at the Blackburn 'keeper.

Rowett made one change at half-time as Blues searched for a way back into the game, Diego Fabbrini replacing Maikel Kieftenbeld.

With Blues pressing, the hosts nearly caught them on the counter-attack. A long clearance found Graham but his effort was tamely collected by Kuszczak.

It was again the hosts who looked to extend their lead. A free-kick from the edge of the area caused confusion, luckily the ricochets and deflections fell kindly for Blues as Kuszczak eventually pounced on the loose ball.

Moments later, Watt nearly doubled his tally. Elliott Bennett's cross from the right-hand side found Watt, who rose highest but Kuszczak was equal to the striker's header.

Almost identical to his earlier chance, Graham latched onto another long clearance, outpacing Robinson, before seeing his effort cannon of the chest of Kuszczak before Blues were able to clear.

Blues then enjoyed their best spell in the match.

Persistent work from Jacques Maghoma led to Blues' best chance, which nearly ended up with Blackburn's Bennett putting through his own net, the winger relieved to see the ball trickle wide.

From the resulting corner, the ball fell to Jonathan Grounds, whose effort crashed against the angle of the crossbar.

The hosts then sprung an attack of their own, again Watt finding space in the right-hand channel before seeing his effort fire just wide of the post, in what was the striker's last involvement before being replaced.

Substitute Fabbrini then forced Steele into a fine save. The Italian unleashing a right-footed effort from the edge of the area which the 'keeper palmed to safety.

A frustrating night for Gary Rowett's side in a match where the damage was done in three first-half minutes.

2016/17 Season Ticket Context_scarf 

    Latest Match Reports