Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 13 Aug 16 at 17:16 PM

Report: Leeds United 1 Blues 2

Blues secured their first win of the season with a fantastic performance at Elland Road.

Jacques Maghoma’s goal was cancelled out by Hadi Sacko in an entertaining and fast paced first-half.

Blues came out after the break with a real impetus and Michael Morrison’s effort gave Gary Rowett’s a deserved lead.

Leeds tried to level, but the Blues boss will be thrilled with his how players dominated and controlled a game played in front of a boisterous home crowd.

After Tuesday’s EFL Cup fixture against Oxford United, Gary Rowett reverted to the team that faced Cardiff City on opening day with Maikel Kieftenbeld replacing Diego Fabbrini.

New signing’s Greg Stewart and Che Adams were among the substitutes as Blues line-up in a 4-1-4-1 formation with Kieftenbeld sitting in front of the back four.

With both sets of supporters making plenty of noise, the game never eased with plenty of action at both ends.

Ryan Shotton made a terrific last ditch tackle to deny Marcus Antonsson from latching onto long ball over the top within 10 minutes.

Leeds continued to push early and from the resulting corner Antonsson fizzed an effort, which hit the crossbar and bounced over.

Blues responded and Maghoma went close twice in the area, but Ayling did well to block both efforts.

Maghoma, however continued to toy with the Leeds defence and he got his deserved goal after 15 minutes.

Starting from deep, Maghoma and Stephen Gleeson linked up with the latter feeding the winger through on goal.

With Green charging at his feet, Maghoma was able to chip the ball over the ‘keeper, whilst taking a mighty whack in the process.

Blues’ lead nearly doubled minutes later, but David Cotterill’s effort deflected off a defender and past the far post.

But with Blues in the ascendancy, Leeds levelled.

Sacko was able to find space in the right side of Blues’ area and his low scuffed effort crept under Tomasz Kuszczak’s body.

It was blow for Blues, but they continued to push.

Kuszczak made a good save to deny Ayling, before David Davis went agonisingly close.

The midfielder, received a pass from Kieftenbeld, charged towards goal and unleashed a fierce effort that just went past the top corner.

Blues came out from the break immediately on the front foot.

Davis fed Gleeson in a central position and his placed effort just missed the far post.

Blues were looking comfortable and got their rewards after 55 minutes.

A good spell of Blues pressure kept Leeds on the back foot and Morrison capitalised. Grounds’ chipped cross wasn’t cleared, the ball fell to the defender eight-yards out and he clinically finished past Morrison.

Maghoma, who was excellent all game, went close after a mazy run from the left, whilst Gleeson could have shot first time instead of trying to take an extra touch just outside the area.

The home side were urged forward, but Blues’ stout defending was hard to breach.

Kuszczak made a good save to deny a miscued Gleeson clearance and Antonsson should have done better when allowed to turn and shoot in the area.

Seven minutes of additional time were signaled and Leeds through everything forward, but it didn’t make a difference as Blues looked comfortable throughout.

    Latest Match Reports