Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 05 Nov 16 at 17:25 PM

Report: Huddersfield Town 1 Blues 1

Blues made it back-to-back draws with 1-1 stalemate at the John Smith's Stadium.

The Terriers, who haven’t beaten Blues at home since October 1996, took the lead in the 69th minute as Elias Kachunga beat Tomasz Kuszczak from just outside the area.

Gary Rowett’s side equalised four minutes later through Lukas Jutkiewicz and after a barrage of pressure late on they were unfortunate to not take all three points.

The first-half started scrappily with neither side able to stamp a clear authority on the game.

Kuszczak made a good save from Nahki Wells after his effort took a deflection and swerved towards the near post. whilst the ‘keeper was also forced into a low save from Tommy Smith minutes later.

Blues’ first chance came after Jutkiewicz rose above his marker to meet David Cotterill’s cross, but his header from 12 yards went wide.

The home side continued to dominate possession, but Blues who were keeping a disciplined shape looked comfortable.

The Terriers were showing signs of frustration as half-time approached, but after Blues’ attack down the right broke down, they had their best chance of the half.

With one minute added on, Kasey Palmer skipped away from Maikel Kieftenbeld, released Wells, who hit a dipping shot straight at Kuszczak.

The second-half started like the first and it took the hour mark to liven up.

Tommy Smith waited patiently as Sean Scannell drove down the right and the defender shot just over after receiving an inside pass.

Both sides made changes and Huddersfield took the lead straight after. Kachunga drove down the right, cut inside and beat Kuszczak, who at full stretch, nearly tipped it wide.

The Terriers continued to push forward and Wells nearly made it two as his long range effort clipped the crossbar.

The home fans were jubilant, but Blues silenced them minutes later.

Jonathan Grounds, who was excellent all afternoon, kept a free-kick alive at the far post and Jutkiewicz got ahead of his marker and headed into the far corner.

An entertaining finish was brewing and both sides rolled the dice for all three points by throwing bodies forward. 

With plenty of space opening up, Blues took advantage and Ryan Shotton’s header from a corner just scraped the far post.

The home side looked nervous and Blues threw everything at them, but it just wasn’t to be for Gary Rowett’s side who extended their unbeaten run at Huddersfield to nine games. 

    Latest Match Reports