Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Fri 14 Oct 16 at 22:12 PM

Report: Nottingham Forest 3 Blues 1

Blues’ run of eight unbeaten on the road came to an end at the City Ground.

Eric Lichaj and Apostolos Vellios gave the hosts a 2-0 lead, before Lukas Jutkiewicz headed Blues a second-half lifeline.

Gary Rowett’s side pushed forward looking for a dramatic equaliser, but they were delivered a late sucker punch as Hildeberto Pereira finished a quick Forest counter attack.

Both teams started brightly with the game played at a fast pace.

Jutkiewicz had Blues’ first opportunity after three minutes, but he scuffed his turn and volley from inside the area.

The hosts grew into the game and Ben Osborn, who received a pass from Henri Lansbury curled an effort past Adam Legzdins’ far post.

But after an entertaining opening nine minutes, the drama unfolded. Forest won a debatable free-kick down the left and Lansbury excellently curled his right-footed effort into the far corner.

Blues immediately ran over to the referee who consulted the linesman, and after a brief conversation, he disallowed the goal with Forest waiting for another kick-off.

The atmosphere immediately livened with both sets of fans creating a good atmosphere.

Jutkiewicz had two half chances in as many minutes, but he was unable to seriously test Stojkovic with his right foot.

Blues had settled, but Forest got the opener after 33 minutes.

Lichaj controlled Nicklas Bendtner’s cross, skipped past Jacques Maghoma and finished excellently past Legzdins.

The home side continued their brief spell of momentum with more possession, but they were unable to test the 'keeper before the half-time break.

Blues started the second-half with more purpose with Adams’ thrashing a good chance to cross over the bar and David Cotterill striking a free-kick wide.

Rowett’s side looked bright, but after Vellios replaced Nicklas Bendtner, Forest struck again.

Blues cleared a home corner, but Forest recycled possession to the left where Lansbury was able to cross to Vellios who finished low.

Diego Fabbrini and Clayton Donaldson were introduced and Blues got their reward.

Ryan Shotton kept the ball alive down the right and his looping cross to the far post was nodded in by Jutkiewicz.

With the away fans behind them, Blues sensed a positive result, but they suffered a low blow on the counter.

A move down the left broke down with Pereira starting a quick break.

Forest drove forward in numbers and the subsitute, who continued his run, dispatched Osborn’s cross into the bottom corner.

It was tough to take for Blues and despite eight minutes of additional time they were unable to force their way back in the game.

    Latest Match Reports