Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Fri 21 Oct 16 at 22:12 PM

Report: Burton Albion 2 Blues 0

It was a night to forget for Gary Rowett and Blues as they fell to a 2-0 defeat against Burton Albion.

Goals from former Blues winger Lloyd Dyer and Jamie Ward sealed the win for the Brewers.

On his return to the Pirelli Stadium, Rowett made just the one change from the side that put four past Rotherham United on Tuesday night, as David Davis replaced Clayton Donaldson after serving a one-match suspension.

Blues started the brighter of the two sides, calling Burton Albion captain Kyle McFadzean into action a couple of times early on.

It took until the 16th minute for either side to muster an effort on goal. David Cotterill's in-swinging free-kick was met by Lukas Jutkiewicz, but his looping header was easy work for Brewers 'keeper Jon McLaughlin.

That was as good as it got for Blues in a frustrating opening 45 minutes.

Nigel Clough's side then sprung into action.

In the space of two minutes Lloyd Dyer created two inviting chances for Jamie Ward from the left-hand side, but the striker failed to trouble Adam Legzdins on both occasions.

Legzdins was then called into action ten minutes later. Ward's clever flick fell kindly for Jackson Irvine, who was denied by a good sprawling save by the Blues number one.

The hosts then took the lead just after the half-hour mark. Ward again involved, this time picking up the ball and running at the Blues defence, before sliding a through ball for Dyer to prod past the on-rushing Legzdins.

As half-time loomed, Legzdins was again in action. Ward, who was at the heart of most of Burton's play in the first-half, struck a fierce effort which was beaten away by Legzdins at his near post.

A very frustrating 45 minutes for Blues, after what was a promising start.

After the break, the hosts continued as they left off and should have doubled their lead. Lucas Akins firing his shot from close range over the bar after Morrison's tackle diverted the ball into his path.

It didn't take Rowett long to make changes after the interval, both Che Adams and Clayton Donaldson were introduced ten minutes into the second-half.

Blues tried to get back on level terms, Lukas Jutkiewicz had an opportunity but the striker couldn't sort his feet out and Jacques Maghoma saw his free-kick sail over crossbar.

Then just after the hour, Ward, who had caused Blues trouble throughout, doubled Burton's lead.

Rowett then used his final substitution and brought on Greg Stewart for Jacques Maghoma with little over 20 minutes remaining.

As Blues pressed, trying to find a way back into the match. Burton nearly struck on the counter-attack, O'Grady turning on the edge of the box, but his effort whistled narrowly wide of the post.

Blues then had a flurry of half chances.

Substitute Stewart saw his free-kick blocked by the wall, before Ben Marshall made an important block to deny Jutkiewicz, who met Jonathan Grounds' low cross at the near post.

Adams then saw his effort deflected out for a corner. The resulting corner found an unmarked Morrison at the far post, but his downward header landed inches wide - Blues' best chance of the match.

    Latest Match Reports