"Charlie Merrick’s Misfits in Fouls, Friends and Football” and wallchart up for grabs in this competition
Image by: © Dave Cousins
Your chance to win a signed copy of a fantastic new football story plus a limited edition World Cup Wallchart…
“Charlie Merrick’s Misfits in Fouls, Friends and Football”, written by lifelong Birmingham City fan Dave Cousins, hits the bookshelves today. Highly illustrated, with lots of football stats and comic book sections, the story recounts the adventures of a group of footballing friends – North Star Galaxy U12s. Described as “Diary of a Wimpy Kid” meets “Football Academy”, it will appeal to boys and girls aged eight upwards.
Ever the Bluenose, Dave couldn’t resist the opportunity to give the book’s central character, 11-year-old Charlie, the surname of Blues legend Gil Merrick – a man who contributed so much to BCFC, both as a player and manager. Bluenoses will spot lots of other Blues references in the book, for instance, most of the North Star Galaxy squad are named after a Blues team from the 1920s!
The book has been released today but Dave and his publisher, Oxford University Press, are offering Blues fans the chance to WIN one of TEN signed copies of the book, plus a special limited edition Charlie Merrick World Cup Wallchart—perfect for keeping track of the tournament in Brazil this summer.
For a chance to win one of the book and wallchart bundles, simply answer the following five Blues World Cup-themed questions.
1. Who was the legendary Blues goalie (and manager) who played for England in the World Cup finals in 1954?
2. Which current Blues player featured in three of Scotland's 2014 World Cup qualifying games?
3. The England boss who won the World Cup in 1966, also briefly managed Blues during the 1977/8 season. Who was he?
4. Which current Blues player was a non-playing member of USA’s World Cup finals squad in 2010?
5. Which 1998 World Cup-winning French forward famously played for Blues during our first two seasons in the Premier League?
To enter, send an email (putting ‘Charlie Merrick Book Competition’ in the subject line) to email@example.com. Don’t forget to include your five answers along with your name and address.
Closing date for entries: 12pm on Wednesday May 7.