Skip to main content

Swansea City U21s 3 Blues U21s 2

Posted: Mon 01 Sep 2014
Author: Jack Burrell

Alan Thompson's side lost out to a dominant Swansea City after the Welsh side ran out 3-2 winners at Swansea's Landore Training Ground.

After a bright start by Blues, Denny Johnstone tested the Swansea 'keeper early on. Gregor Zabret's poor clearance was pounced on by Olly Lee who found Johnstone in the box and he brought a good save out of Zabret early on.

After 11 minutes the hosts took the lead; Kenji Gorre cutting inside before getting a powerful shot away which was saved by Connal Trueman in the Blues goal, but an unfortunate bounce allowed striker Alex Samuel to nod home.

Blues responded well to going behind but didn't really threaten the Swansea goal. Callum Reilly's effort from 25 yards hit straight at the 'keeper.

On 27 minutes the hosts should have doubled their lead when midfielder Adam King made a good run from deep, his flick-volley looped wide of the Blues goal - a chance more suited to a header.

Just after the half hour mark the hosts did double their lead. Again Gorre causing Josh Cogley problems down the left hand side and his low cross was turned home by Madou Barrow, who's finish unfortunately went through Trueman's legs.

A minute before the interval and Luke Armstrong brought Zabret into action. After a good run by Reilly down the left, his cross found Armstrong in the middle who's snapshot brought a good save out of the 'keeper down low.

After the break the hosts started to turn the screw and could have extended their lead on numerous occasions; half-time substitute Ryan Hedges nearly scored with his first touch but his effort crept inches past the post, then two minutes later Swansea captain Scott Tancock rose highest at the back post from a corner but his downward header stopped by the legs of Trueman.

On the hour the hosts got the third goal they had been threatening, full-back Liam Shephard getting on the scoresheet when his strike struck the underside of the bar.

The hosts limited Blues to half chances at best. Cogley nearly catching out Zabret with a cross, but the keeper tipping over the bar. From the resulting corner Will Packwood - captain for the night - met the corner at the near post but his header was easily held by the Swans 'keeper.

Seven minutes from the end and Blues finally breached the Swansea back-line after some intricate passing from Olly Lee and Johnstone, the latter back-heeling the ball into Lee's path for the midfielder to fire home from 12 yards.

Blues weren't done there, in injury time they pulled another goal back; Packwood heading home Liam Truslove's corner at the back post.

Blues goals injected a bit of urgency into Thompson's side, the comeback came too little too late though and it finished Swansea 3-2 Blues.


Swansea: Zabret; Shephard, Kingsley (Hanley 68), Gallifuoco, Tancock; Gorre, Barrow (Hedges 45), Fulton (Jones 45), King, Sheehan; Samuel
Subs: Jones, Davies, Roberts, Hanley, Hedges

Blues: Trueman; Cogley, Bell, Packwood, Reilly; Martin (Truslove 55), Adams, Lee, Nasseri (Solomon 45); Johnstone, Armstrong (McGee 45)
Subs: Solomon, McGee, Truslove, Moseley, Fry

Referee: David Sallis

Watch highlights of the match below: