Skip to main content

Killer touch needed

Posted: Sat 12 Jan 2013
Author: Paddy Day

Lee Clark remonstrates in his technical area at the John Smith's Stadium

Image by: PA Photos

A philosophical Lee Clark believes his side will start achieving the results they deserve if they can improve on their ruthless streak in front of goal.

Clark’s men were 1-0 ahead at the John Smith’s Stadium until Adam Hammill dealt the visitors a cruel blow by equalising for Huddersfield Town in second-half stoppage time.

Nathan Redmond was presented with the best chance to put the game beyond the Terriers, but Alex Smithies in the Huddersfield goal denied the 18-year-old on 77 minutes.

Clark told “I’m gutted for the players because they’re not getting the results they deserve. You’ve seen our last three performances; we’ve had draws at Leeds United and here today and a loss at home to Cardiff City on New Year’s Day. We’ve deserved to win all three games.

“I think the key is killing teams off and we had opportunities in the second-half to make the margin bigger than 1-0, because whilst it’s only 1-0 the opposition have the chance to get back at you. To be fair to Simon (Grayson) he went for it, they pushed bodies forward. They went to three at the back and got the opportunities.

“My lads are disappointed and frustrated but I’ve told them that they’re playing really well at the moment, they’ve got to keep going, we’ve got to keep believing and we’ll get the rub of the green.

“I’m enjoying watching my players play. We’re passing the ball around; we’ve got good movement; we’re exciting; we’ve got pace. And these young boys are doing terrifically well.”

Next up for Blues is Tuesday night’s FA Cup with Budweiser third round replay against Leeds United at St. Andrew’s, something which Clark is relishing.

He continued: “We’ve got another big game on Tuesday with the FA Cup replay against Leeds. The cup will always be important to me. I take it very seriously.”

The Blues boss also confirmed that goalscorer Callum Reilly was substituted at half-time in West Yorkshire as he was suffering from a virus. The 19-year-old had declared himself fit despite not training on Thursday and Friday but illness took its toll in the first-half.