Skip to main content

Tough pitch dealt with

Posted: Tue 27 Nov 2012
Author: Paddy Day
Lee Clark and Michael Appleton

Lee Clark and Michael Appleton

Image by: Press Association

Lee Clark was pleased with the way his charges adapted to the task in hand at Bloomfield Road.

An uneven playing surface saw both sides struggle to find their rhythm, but Blackpool still managed to take the lead via Thomas Ince, which saw Blues change their game plan to good affect in the second-half.

Clark told “I was encouraged with the work ethic in the defensive shape throughout the whole game, but certainly we had to do more to be a threat to Blackpool and we certainly were that in the second-half. We penetrated them more.

“It’s difficult because we’ve got good footballers. The pitch wasn’t conducive to that. The ball was bouncing all over the place when we tried to run with it, so we had to just change the game plan a little bit in the second-half in terms of just turning the ball in behind the Blackpool defence; make them try and slip over or the ball bounce up between their legs, because of the surface to force errors and we did that.”

The returning Paul Caddis more than played his part by the seaside, completing a full 90 minutes after recovering from a dislocated shoulder he suffered in September.

Clark enthused: “He’s had two training sessions after being out for ten weeks and he looked brilliant. That’s four games he’s had for this football club now and the four of them have been outstanding, so he’s a top quality footballer.”

Rob Hall would have accompanied Caddis in the starting line-up but for falling ill, which casts doubts over his chances of featuring against Middlesbrough on Friday night (kick-off 7.45pm).

The Blues boss added: “We were in the hotel this afternoon having out team meeting. We were talking about the game, watching some footage, talking through the tactics and Rob became ill during the meeting, so that stopped the meeting halfway through. We tried to get some food and drink down him but we had to leave him in the hotel and he’s actually getting picked up by one of the medical team after the game.

“He was excellent for 35 minutes on Saturday (v Derby County) and I thought the system would have suited him tonight.”