Reaction: Carla Ward

Reaction: Carla Ward

Carla Ward was inclined to cut Blues some slack after an off-colour performance against Leicester City in the FA Women’s Continental Tyres League Cup.

The decisive Group E clash finished in a 0-0 draw with Leicester topping the table having grabbed an extra point for winning the penalty shootout 6-5.

The Foxes had played their part in an engaging clash which featured a number of chances at both ends with Ward admitting her charges had not been at their best.

But with a small squad hit by injuries, the boss opted for an understanding approach.

“This is a very small group and the positive is that every single player continues to give everything they have,” said Ward.

“Yes, the performance was not there but I will never get after this group because they can only do what they can do. They have been exceptional all season and have had an off day.

“We need help and on the whole, I must admit, I am weirdly happy that we are out because we don’t need another game right now.

“It was a funny game and one of those times where things just don’t quite go your way. You need 80 per cent of your group on it and today it was probably the other way around – 20 per cent were on it and 80 weren’t.

“Both teams had chances to win it and it just wasn’t our day. Credit to Leicester and good luck to them in the next round.

“There are no gripes from me, we will get back into training, kick on and get ready for Everton on Sunday.

“We will park this one, move on and try to do something against Everton.”