Report: Blues 4 Tottenham Hotspur 1

Blues boss Gary Rowett used the friendly as a First Team exercise by basing his side around the players who didn’t start against Leicester City last Saturday. 

And with all the senior squad squad taking part in the Audi Cup, Tottenham Hotspur brought a youthful side coached by former England international Ugo Ehiogu.

In a first-half of very few chances it was Blues who went the closest, when a David Edgar volley was cleared off the line after Wes Thomas’ shot deflected fell into his path.

The visitors settled down and found a rhythm of neat and tidy passing and went close with a free-header from eight yards, which was well saved by Adam Legzdins.

Jacques Maghoma stopped a fierce free-kick from hitting the target moments later and the midfielder was involved again when he cut inside from the left and saw his curling effort go just wide. 

Blues made a change at half-time with Dominic Bernard replacing David Edgar and immediately started on the front foot. 

David Davis’ through pass to Jon Toral in the area was slightly overhit, but the midfielder was on hand to stab home a few minutes later. 

Toral played the ball out wide to Eardley, who found the midfielder inside the area with a cross that he was able to side foot home.

Toral doubled the lead when a Reece Brown corner was flicked on by Koby Arthur at the front-post to Paul Robinson who rose between two defenders and headed it off Toral past the keeper. 

The Arsenal loanee completed his hat-trick two minutes later, when he was quick to nip ahead of Christian Maghoma midway in the visitors half. 

The Spaniard took a nice touch and was able roll it past the onrushing keeper in to the corner with his left foot. 

Toral was replaced by Viv Solomon-Otabor just pass the hour mark and the winger moved onto the right with Arthur slotting behind Thomas in the number 10 role. 

A curling effort from Arthur and 25-yard effort by Neal Eardley both went close, but it was Tottenham who struck next. 

A fierce strike from Ryan Loft inside the area was well saved by Legzdins, but the ball fell to Anton Walkes at the far-post who was able to tap home. 

Tottenham made a number of changes and Blues benefited again when Thomas scored the fourth from Arthur's pass over the top.

The striker saw his first effort well saved, but as he was following in the rebound, the ball deflecting back off his own chest and into the empty net. 

Thomas nearly added to his tally a minute later, but the keeper made a good low save from inside the six-yard box. 

There would be no further chances for either side, but plenty to think about for Gary Rowett who can now focus fully on this weekend’s season opener against Reading at St. Andrew's.

Blues: Legzdins, Eardley, Edgar (Bernard 45), Robinson, Hancox, Arthur, Davis, Brown, Maghoma, Toral (Solomon-Otabor 61), Thomas. Not used: Trueman, Harding, Cooper, Jones.