Report: Coventry City Under-23s 1 Blues Under-23s 2

Second-half goals from Olly McCoy and Wes McDonald gave Blues a deserved two-goal advantage, and despite the hosts reducing the deficit through Tom Bayliss' 74th minute strike, Richard Beale's side held on to secure all three points in the PDL2 fixture.

Blues started the game with real urgency and confidence as they looked to continue from the form they showed in their last outing against Bristol City.

Blues first chance of the match came inside the opening ten minutes as David Popa's looping header drifted inches wide of the far post.

Coventry looked to respond immediately, going extremely close to breaking the deadlock as midifelder Devon Kelly-Evans' cross was met by Jordan Ponticelli whose effort cannoned back off the crossbar.

The pace of the game began to increase thereafter with chances coming thick and fast for both sides.

This time Blues winger McCoy beat off the challenge of three defenders with a superb weaving run before seeing his effort blocked by Reece Ford.

From the resulting corner, McCoy was at the heart of things again as the ball dropped to the feet of the Blues starlet but he could only drag his shot wide of the post.

As we reached the midway point in the first-half, Blues continued to pile on the pressure as McDonald was next to try his luck. The talented number ten combined well with Popa down the left-flank before cutting inside only to see his effort blaze over Corey Addai in the Coventry City goal.

With Blues firmly in the ascendancy and the hosts struggling to find any sort of rhythm to their play; it was Wes Harding who engineered another goal-scoring opportunity. The Captain picked out McCoy in the box whose glancing header hit Popa and flew over the bar for a goal-kick in the 43rd minute.

But as half-time approached, it was Coventry who had a great opportunity to go a goal to the good. Jordan Shipley guided his unmarked header over the bar much to the delight of Blues goalkeeper Connal Trueman.

And that was to be the last action of the first-half as the teams went into the break goalless.

Half-Time: Coventry City Under-23s 0 Blues Under-23s 0

Blues started the second-half as they ended the first and continued to test the hosts rearguard.

It wasn't long before they got their just reward as McCoy finished superbly to cap off a fine training ground move to put Blues 1-0 up.

George O'Neill played a brilliant one-two with McDonald who squared the ball to McCoy who lashed home from close-range to put Blues into a deserved lead. 

Soon after Blues doubled their advantage, in the 54th minute, courtesy of a fine strike from McDonald.

Provider-turned-goalscorer McDonald was on hand to double Blues advantage after Popa's earlier effort was parried straight to his feet; he kept his composure to put Blues 2-0 up.  

The hosts looked to find a way back into the game and had their first opportunity of the second-half as Ponticelli's shot from distance produced a smart save from Trueman just past the hour mark.

This seemed to galvanise the home side, and with renewed optimism they reduced the deficit through Bayliss' 74th minute strike. The midfielder turned away from Noe Baba before beating Trueman at his near post.

The goal sparked the hosts into life as they went in search of the equaliser, but despite an onslaught of late pressure from Coventry, the Blues' defence stood firm to give Beale's men a deserved victory on a wet and windy afternoon in Coventry.

Blues: Connal Trueman, Wes Harding, Olly Mulders, Noe Baba, Daniel Cleary, Logan Kwiecien, Olly McCoy, Charlie Lakin, David Popa (Jack Storer 68), Wes McDonald, George O'Neill (Remeao Hutton 68)
Subs not used: Jake Weaver, Matthew Timms, Koby Arthur.