Report: Blues 6 Swindon Town 1

Blues hit Swindon for six!


A dominant first-half display from Blues saw them cruise to a comfortable pre-season friendly victory against The Robins at the Trillion Trophy Training Centre on Friday afternoon.

New midfield signing Dan Crowley played a pivotal role as Blues took a 4-0 lead within the first 45 minutes of the contest after scoring one and playing a major role in the other three.

Swindon pulled a goal back after the break before substitute Jude Bellingham netted a brace for Pep Clotet's side.

Blues began the game playing in an attacking 3-4-1-2 formation and made the best possible start when they took the lead after just five minutes.

A defensive mistake allowed Crowley in before he produced a neat finish to fire a low shot home into the corner of the net.

Blues were continuing to dominate the opening exchanges with some decisive possession-based football and they soon doubled their advantage.

A great through ball from Crowley found Isaac Vassell who rounded the 'keeper before slotting the ball into the back of the net.

Minutes later the pivotal Crowley laid the ball off to Corey O'Keefe who found Vassell but his goalbound effort was blocked in front of his own goal line by a Swindon defender.

As well as looking a constant attacking threat, Blues were also defending excellently, and it took until the 26th minute for Swindon to have an attempt on goal but Ellis Iandolo fired well over the bar.

Just ahead of the half-hour mark Blues made it 3-0.

Once again Crowley was involved in the build-up as he nudged the ball out to Vassell on the wing and the Blues striker fired in a low cross which found Odin Bailey who controlled it before side footing it past the 'keeper.

Blues were really motoring now and Vassell had a well-taken effort parried away before Craig Gardner got on the scoresheet with a finely taken strike from just outside the area which nestled in the top corner.

Half-time: Blues 4 Swindon Town 0

Unlike Swindon who made a host of substitutions at the break, Blues made just a solitary change with Ivan Guzman replacing Bailey.

To be fair to Swindon, they started the more brightly of the two sides and had two early chances.

Keshi Anderson blasted the ball over and Brandan Thomas-Asante was just inches away from scoring as his shot went just wide of David Stockdale's post.

Stockdale then produced a fine save with his feet to deny Anderson.

Swindon were finally rewarded for their decent second half start as they pulled a goal back just after the hour mark when Michael Doughty drilled home an excellent shot from the edge of the area.

But Blues were not done themselves and Bellingham made it 5-1 to the hosts courtesy of Charlie Lakin who rode a challenge in the box before teeing him up to fire home.

Then with just six minutes of normal time remaining Bellingham was on the scoresheet again.

His initial attempt to chip the 'keeper was thwarted but he was quickest to react to the rebound and made no mistake as he placed the ball home to cap off an impressive Blues display.

Blues (3-4-1-2): Stockdale; Harding, Redmond, Dacres-Cogley (Burke 87); O'Keeffe, C Gardner, Medina, Keita (Lakin 60); Crowley (Bellingham 60); Bailey (Guzman h/t), Vassell.

Subs (not used): Boyd-Munce, Andrews, Trueman (gk).

Goals: Crowley (5), Vassell (19), Bailey (29), Gardner (33), Bellingham (74, 84)

Swindon Town (4-1-2-1-2): Krastev; Reid, Baudry, Ballard (Hunt h/t), Fryers; Conroy (Broadbent 68); Iandolo (Anderson h/t), May (D'Ath 60); Isgrove (Doughty h/t); Woolery (Thomas-Asante h/t), Yates (Newell 72).

Subs (not used): Curran, Twine, Haines, Henry (gk).

Goal: Doughty (65)