Report: Blues Under-18s 4 Bolton Wanderers Under-18s 2

Adan George scores his second and Blues fourth goal
Adan George scores his second and Blues fourth goal

Victory meant that Blues Under-18s closed the league season with a fourth straight win

Blues Under-18s finished their PDL season on a high, making it four wins on the spin.

Braces from trialist Jayden Reid and Adan George wrapped up the points for Steve Spooner’s side at the Trillion Trophy Training Centre.

Blues looked to break their way through Bolton’s defence early on through the pace of forwards Reid and George.

George was able to intercept a loose pass amongst Bolton’s defence and he made a bursting run down the right before defender Kwame Osigwe slid in and dispossessed the youngster.

A few minutes later Blues created the first clear-cut chance of the game. After an excellent run and a show of sheer strength, Kane Thompson-Sommers was able to sprint through the opposition half before teeing up Reid at the edge of the area, but his effort went just over the crossbar.

At the other end of the pitch the visitors were able to work up an opening after goalkeeper Luke Hutchinson found Eddie Brown unmarked on the left and the youngster was able to cut inside but his effort was blocked by a huddle of blue shirts.

Remi Walker forced the first save of the afternoon when his powerful effort on the edge of the area had to be parried by Hutchinson before Bolton were able to clear.

Blues took the lead just before the half hour mark through a great solo goal from Reid.

The forward collected the ball on the left wing before knocking it past his opponent and beating him for pace before cutting into the area and firing into the back of the net.

After the break, Blues thought they had doubled their lead early on when George smashed the ball home only to see the linesman’s flag raised for offside.

The visitors drew level just before the hour mark when forward Brown got the ball inside the area and he made no mistake in firing it past goalkeeper Josh Bradley-Hurst.

The scoreline remained level for 10 minutes before Blues took the lead once again.

Alfie Chang did excellently in midfield to win the ball and use his skill and strength to ward off two defenders before unleashing a low forward pass into the path of Reid, who slotted past Hutchinson to grab his and Blues’ second of the game.

Blues’ tally reached three not long after when George excellently started and finished an attack.

He took in a clearance on halfway and played the ball off to Tate Campbell who then set away substitute Amari Miller down the left. Miller got to the byline and played over a square ball and George got onto it first to force it past the goalkeeper.

George got this second in the final ten minutes after a nice one-two with Reid set him away down the middle. He evaded a strong challenge from behind before calmly sidefooting into the corner of the net from close range.

Bolton gradded a late consolation goal when captain Ronan Darcy’s effort, after cutting in from the right, deflected off Chang into the middle of the goal.

Blues: Bradley-Hurst, Kinina, Powell (Craig 85), Roberts, Gordon, Chang, Thompson-Sommers, Campbell, Walker (Miller 63), Reid, George. Subs not used: Clayton, Traore.